Herbed Garlic Scape Kale Ceasar Salad
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-2 garlic scapes chopped
- finely chopped herbs (oregano, rosemary, or whatever you have) about 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp vegenaise (or mayo)
- 1 tbsp dijon
- 1 tbsp worcestire
- 1-2 anchovies (optional)
- salt/pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 1 bunch kale
- Crouton/Crushed pita topping
- Optional lean protein choice (chicken/fish)
1. Chop the garlic scapes and herbs and combine with olive oil to let soak.
2. While oil is soaking, in a separate bowl combine 1 tbsp each of mayo, dijon, and worcester (plus optional anchovies), salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
3. Wash and prepare the kale by shredding into bite size pieces.
4. Crunch up pita chips or make croutons by toasting old bread in the oven on a low heat (300) until browned. Grate small amount of parm. (these two toppings are optional if you're trying to make this healthier, but small amounts can be delicious)
5. Reserve 1 tp of the herbed, garlic scape oil and combine the rest with the mayo/mustard mixture.
6. Use the extra oil to coat a lean protein such as chicken or salmon to bake or grill and serve with your salad.
7. Massage the kale with the dressing. Let sit while your protein is cooking.
8. Serve topped with fish/chicken, parmesan and crunchy topping.